Friday 17 March 2017

Balance for Ballet


My ballet teacher recently questioned why my body weight wasn’t where it should be as a lost my balance doing a double pirouette “even though I do all that yoga”.  I had to explain that in yoga balances, although we sometimes flow through a variety of poses with the working leg, we don’t move the standing leg!   So although you’ll need to keep practising ballet to achieve those specific skills required for  the dynamic balancing inherent in ballet turns, rises and changes of direction,  balance-based yoga poses can help lay down the groundwork.

So here's video #2.  A standing and balancing yoga flow.  Plenty of work on hips, hamstring and spine flexibility for classical ballet lines, plus balances on one leg to improve foot and ankle strength and pelvic stability.   Natajarasana – Dancer Pose – is here, of course, and I’ve included a headstand balance, altering your relationship to gravity completely!  By removing the added challenge of moving the standing leg as you would in dance (e.g. rises, fouettes, promenades or turns) we have the opportunity to calmly cultivate balance, proprioception,  awareness of the centre of gravity, transference of body weight, eyeline and focus from a still, firm foundation.

(Please excuse the part where I say “Exhale as you breathe out”.  It’s been a long week!)

No comments:

Post a Comment